Earning Certificate of Recognition for your Return-to-Work Program
Once you have an effective safety management system (SMS) in place, you have the option of implementing an injury management/return-to-work (RTW) program.
A RTW program helps injured workers return to meaningful, productive work in a safe and timely manner, or even stay on the job while performing modified duties. Once you have achieved COR for your SMS program, achieving COR for your RTW program entitles you to an additional five per cent rebate on your WorkSafeBC premiums.
Components of an RTW program
Here are the things that an auditor will be assessing during the COR audit:
- Commitment by senior management to the program;
- Communication about the program and its benefits to workers and supervisors;
- Resources, education and training to support the program;
- Planning for reintegration of injured workers;
- Early intervention strategies in the event of injury;
- Reporting, documentation and follow-up of all work-related injuries;
- Overall program administration.
When you are preparing for the audit of your RTW program, detailed documentation of your policies and procedures, as well as education, training, outcome and tracking records, will help expedite the process.